Monday, July 8, 2019

Professional Driver

I just celebrated 1 year as a driver for Uber and Lyft! Time has flown by so quickly. Something that I haven't had an opportunity to share on here is something that a lot of my passengers ask me: "Why did you start driving for Uber/Lyft?"

Many years ago before I could even drive, I was the kid that would see people either stranded on the side of the road due to car trouble, carrying a lot of grocery bags, or just plain hitchhiking, and I would want to help them or give them a ride. I grew up in a culture where this was very acceptable, but here in the states my parents would always tell me that it was unsafe. The way many adults warn children about strangers, which is good to do. Every time I would come across someone that I would think needs assistance, I would start dreaming up of ways that I could help them in the future.

One time my dad and I got stranded on the side of the road at night. We had an angel come by and help us out. I couldn't believe it. God took care of us. Soon after, I regretted that I couldn't be the one to do the same for others.

When I began to drive I was still a minor and I kept feeling like I was a failure for not being able to help like I wanted. I began to think that once I got married, I would make it a ministry to go out with my husband and help whoever I could. I am now 28 and still single. At age 18 with no prospect of marriage on the horizon, I did what I could. I prayed for God to bless me with a car so that I could use it to help others, and he did soon after.

Within the first couple months of owning my vehicle, God collected. I decided to use my car to drive a group of us downtown to minister to the homeless for almost a year. At about the same time, I decided to go on vacation to Florida. The week I decided to go, the vehicles that this one family owned were all in need of repair, so I was able to drive the family to work, church, and other places that they needed to go. I felt like God's favor over me was abundant. I began to offer my friends rides, who either didn't have a vehicle or for other reasons, whenever and wherever they needed to go. This made me so happy to be able to help people even on a small scale.

Then...Uber launched. My dreams came true! Only one problem, my car was 6 years old. One year too many. I was devastated. I continued to serve the best way I could. Finally last year I was blessed with the opportunity to finance a new (slightly used) car. Before I even signed on the dotted line I began the application process for both Uber and Lyft. Within a couple days of purchasing the vehicle, I was finally self-employed and a professional driver. My dreams became real.

I did not look at this opportunity as a job, but a way that I could help people in my area get from point A to point B. To assist them in their time of need, while sharing my stories and listening to their troubles. I have since even picked up a real hitchhiker too! Giving this entirely into God's hands has been a blessing beyond words in my life. I am so thankful for God gifting me this. May He continue to bless me.

No comments: